TESOL

Saturday, October 2, 2010

About using computer for learning - my opinion


What have teachers/developers done to teach the skill areas using computers?

When I was a middle school student,(the time I started to learn English) my teacher taught us English rely on the textbook and radio cassette. We usually repeated sentences or vocabularies after her several times and listened the tape.
Time goes by, a computer appeared. I remember the time using a computer at first when I was a high school. I made BASIC program with it. In addition, I learned the program '아래한글(araehangul)' and EXCEL, that I could make documents. One day, Internet suddenly popped up. I could e-mail to others and find various information through it.
In my university, I e-mailed my homework to my teachers and up-loaded my papers on-line. Via computer, I could watch CNN news and even listen. We studied it at the lab in the university.
Nowadays, edu-entertainment(edu+entertainment) is in popular. It is possible to access to every areas of learning English: listening, speaking, reading, writing, alphabet, phonics, grammar, and etc. It draws learners attention and is effective. It means to may give learners motivation.

To what extent does what they have done actually enhance learning?

Many edu-entertainments are running on-line such as yahoo, naver, and etc. For an example, they provide the learning alphabet program for beginners. Moreover phonics, more to make sentences or puzzles. There are many programs and internet sites to practice dialogue with native speakers; skype-on
Visual simulation is also another kind. Students get into the simulation box and then if they act, it shows with some picture on the computer screen.
The difference using visual box from the past can make students feel in the real situation. Using computer to teach English is never ending story.

How can you use such resources to support your students' learning objectives?
I usually make PPT files to help students understand objects easier. It contains words, sound, video clip with various ways. Also I use 'watch' to count their limit time to finish their project, 'dice' to make a group or to chose the order which team will be started. And I use many kinds of word processors to make worksheet or some sub materials for the lessons.
Sometimes let students involve my program and let them simulate themselves to figure out the problem. Sometimes let students play games for filling in the blanks such as question tags.

Identify key elements within a pedagogical framework that can help us respond effectively to the challenge of culture learning and teaching utilizing new technologies.

To help of understanding culture, the materials have to be authentic. Therefore, a teacher has to find fresh materials diligently. Also it is necessary to be in the real circumstances. For that, attending camp speaking only in English not only with Korean but also foreigners would be the one way. Making a conversation with foreigner directly such as skype-on can be a good way, too. Seeing each other with a cam, it is really authentic. It can make learners be interested in English. Motivation is important. It's the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment